Orange & Almond Cake
I have been very engrossed into cooking and baking lately, all thanks to the lockdown & quarantine that has certainly become a motivation for the maximum of us to invent something or the other in our kitchens. These days , I’ve resorted to the opportunity, that otherwise I wouldn’t have made use of.
More than anything else, I’ve been enjoying some time in the kitchen to invent, reinvent or innovate any dish that comes to my mind.
And so a few days back I baked a cake that I could only imagine in my dreams. The idea came up with the idea of 2 different flavours popping up on my palette & I thought of giving this a try.
I baked this gorgeous, fragrant, moist, fluffy and tender Orange & Almond cake from the healthiest of ingredients in my kitchen.
A simple cake with or without frosting, apt for tea time, breakfast or a simple dessert, this one’s a clear winner for it🍊
When it comes to baking, I try and bake cakes that are not only simple but also that gets eaten up again and again. I really wanted to bake this cake before the citrus season was over as it’s packed with irresistible flavors plus the fresh and juicy burst of orange makes it a full indulgence to one’s taste buds 🍊
Also scattered throughout the cake are some crispy roasted almonds that add a sweet nutty crunch and a wonderful texture to the cake. These crispy almonds compliment very well with citrus flavours. Also lately I’ve been hearing to increase the intake of Vitamin C in our diets. So why not try this it up in my cake as well.
Because, if there’s a whisk, there’s a cake 🥮🎂
Prep Time :
Cooking Time :
Total Time :
- 3/4th cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup roasted & grinded oats
- 2 tbsps oil/ unsalted butter
- 3/4th cup milk (regular/almond/soy)
- 2 drops of vanilla essence
- 1/2 spn baking powder
- 1/4th spn Baking Soda
- Grated Orange Zest
- One fresh Orange pressed (for juice)
- Jaggery (accordingly keeping in mind the natural sweetness of milk and oranges)
- Few roasted almonds
- In a bowl, mix whole wheat flour, oats , baking powder, baking soda and jaggery powder (all dry ingredients)
- Heat a pan to dry roast a few chopped almonds and keep them aside to cool
- Take a fresh orange and grate it from its peel (only the upper edge) to get the zest which is power packed with the maximum citrusy flavour & also extract fresh juice from the same orange
- Take another bowl to mix in soy milk, vanilla essence and oil /melted butter (wet ingredients)
- Now pour in all the wet ingredients into the dry and start whisking in one direction
- While mixing , try and tilt the bowl to trap in maximum air as that helps the cake to get more fluffier
- Once the mix is ready slowly add the zest and the fresh juice to the batter along with the roasted almonds
- Bake at 180°C in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the knife comes out clean
How about trying one today? If you do try my recipe do share in the comments section below or you could even tag me on Instagram. My Instagram handle is @the_glitterati_affair
Keep Baking 😍
Rise N Shine